Re: A negative review for 2002 >> Biting the biscuit...

Mark & Steve,

In a message dated 1/3/02 6:03:12 PM, sine@zerocrossing.net writes:

>Would that not be an ideology of primitivism? Choosing not to choose is
>still making a choice. It's how art critics make a living. To name is
>to maim.
>
>Mark Sottilaro
>
>Steve Sandberg wrote:
>
>>Interesting thread this is turning into.
>>
>>    I have no particular agenda, no artistic philosophy for what I do.
>>    Nothing is particularly well thought out at all. What I play, how
>>    I play and how I think about what I play really comes from a very,
>>    very naive (not to say primitive) place.
>>
>> I love this comment.

As the quoted person in question I'd probably say no, not primitivism,
just naivete. I'm still just a doofus who hasn't figgered anything out
yet. There is a certain sense of inadequacy and failure (if not shame)
connected to it -- like maybe I really should have some sort of grand,
sophisticated raison d'etre for what I'm doing by now (I'm 48 for gosh
sakes) and I don't. I'm just doing it because it somehow satisfies
some unnamable something in me to do so...and that (in turn) drives
me to do it again. The same impulse seems to drive my visual artmaking
as well. I do not have words for it. I sure wish did.

Best,

Ted Killian