re: HELP! prob with analog machine

2 ideas:

1.  the obvious intermitent solder connection somewhere.  look at the
solder side of all boards with a magifing glass (or optivisors)...look for
a grey concentric circle around the joint...this is the telltale sign of
something that needs to be resoldered.  if you are good with a soldering
iron, go ahead and resolder anything that looks suspicious.

2.  most (if not all) tape decks have a large multiple switch that selects
between recording and playback.  there are many contacts in this switch,
and they often need to be cleaned.  get some cleaner/lubricant inside
there (even if you have to cut the corner off the housing with angle
cutters to get it in)...this is a common problem with cassette decks, and
i believe, reel to reels as well.

deknow