re[2]: Overloading Output Levels when layering sounds

am i missing something, or is this just a basic dynamic level problem...if
you turn up at the soft parts, the loud parts become too loud.  adding a
compressor, expander, or limiter, seems to me, will only increase the
noise floor at low volumes (before you add loops live), and compress your
dynamics at louder parts.

your dynamic range IS WHAT IT IS ...from the softest thing you can hear to
the overload of the mixer.  again, i might be missing something, but i
don't think this is a PROBLEM, per se, more the nature of the audio
beast....if your soft (pre-live looping) parts are turned up to be loud,
then your loud (post-live looping) parts will be too loud, unless you turn
the volume down on some of the pre-existing tracks (or, overdub them with
a smaller feedback level).

this will continue to be a problem, even using a "non-liniar" setup if you
insist on having the soft parts as loud as the loud parts...yes, a
compressor will help keep you from clipping the mixer, but your loud parts
will get no louder (the sound guy's turning up and down the faders is
equivilent to having a compressor on the house mix)....you might be better
off working to fit your loops within a usable dynamic range (ie, your soft
parts are too soft if the house engineer has to turn you up at those
points...you have a mixer right on the repeater, and you know how the
music should sound, so your music would be better served if you worked out
with the engineer a working level, and you controll the dynamics from
stage).

deknow