Re: was - Re: Ableton Live a sEriOuS contender!

snigs-~
-----Original Message-----
From: bob[noxious] <audiolink@gmx.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
<Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Date: Friday, January 25, 2002 8:57 AM
Subject: RE: was - Re: Ableton Live a sEriOuS contender!
stuff ------

>>> this is what scares me.....composition seems to become more dependent
>on
>>>sic.....how
>epeater has a cheesy way of saving to external media and reimporting
>later.
>

>>> I never got what running through mazes on a
>>> screen did for anyone. I love tweaking things while I play and
>getting
>>> rid of a creak or footstep just isn't worth the loss of communication
>
>>> for me.
>
>This is where Ableton Live excels, no scrolling and a monkey could run
>the thing without reading a manual.  If you do email, you are way past
>the learning curve.  The computer is really no diffenert from a hardware
>looper, aside from software features.  I mean they both have a hardware
>interface, OS layer, application layer, etc.  One has a nice big screen
>that is very familiar from things like email and word processing, and
>one does not.

actually i was responding to the earlier post and indeed have little
interest in certain looping tools is all. my point was more along the lines
of "i'm doing just fine sans puter for now and happy to hear some good
sounds". my views if any on how computers are utilzed (with)in music are at
best my own opinion and at worst irrelevant.

>There appears to be a recurring theme of favoring a single tool, not
>necessarily the most intuitive or best for creating non linear music.
>If we took this notion one step further it would be easy to argue that
snippls>loop technology never really got better than sitting in a drum
screw
driver was just brilliant - it's difficult to argue otherwise.
>Even more brilliant was the invention of the electric screw driver, but
>I bet you didn't felt hindered by this leap in technology and never
>thought a manual was necessary.
>
>I mean, I love my EDP, but this Ableton thing is really a leap in
>the>right
direction for loop technology.  Don't give up the EDP, but don't>give up
your passion for looping either.  There was a day when people>plugged right
into an amp without anything but a cord in the chain.
>bob[noxious]

I kinda play in those days still and it's still an okay place, not very
pretty though. looping is cool this way, many different routes to take.
best regards, Pedro Felix - NYC 2002