Overpriced gear (was RE: EDP or REPEATER?)

>Amen to that! The Les Paul, SG, et al prices ARE
>ridiculous. Seems to me that it's more of a 'status'
>thing than a quality (not to disparage the quality of
>course) or feature thing. Man, there's (or was) a lot of
>liquidity in this country. Collectors have been buying
>up guitars, etc. like there's no tomorrow--driving the
>price up of used and new stuff.

While Gibson's made more than its share of overpriced gear in the last
decade or so, I have to point out that the "you've got to be kidding!"
prices are for the famous-guy-model or extra fancy stuff.  If you want o
play a standard Les Paul or SG, the prices aren't unreasonable.  Around
$1600 for a Les Paul Standard, $1200 for an SG (street prices at Guitar
Center).  Their "list" prices are absurd, but no-one pays those.

TH