Re: RE:EDP or REPEATER?

major snipps
-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Flint <kflint@loopers-delight.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
<Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Date: Saturday, January 26, 2002 5:25 AM
Subject: RE:EDP or REPEATER?
>At 02:12 PM 1/24/2002, William R. Walker, wrote:
>>Heh William!
>>If the following things are true  for you, I'd get a Repeater.
>The EDP on the other hand, does trigger it's loops instantly with a key
>press, and is velocity sensitive. Or if you choose, it can que them up in
>quantized fashion as the Repeater does. There are several different
>sampler
>modes that let you choose if you want to trigger a loop from the beginning
>and play as long as you hold the key, trigger for a one-shot play and
>stop,
>jump back to the loop wherever you last left it, or play from the start
>and
>keep going. If you mix this with autorecord you can also record all of
>your
>loops this way, instantly jumping from one loop to another and recording
>bits in real time and then jumping back to them to >>>play what you
grabbed.

what he said.

>Fun to automate with a sequencer. Add real-time loop copies to that and
>there are many fun possibilities available nowhere else.
the EDP is deep

>the EDP doesn't do any pitch transposing though, like the Repeater does.
>So
>neither works truly like a sampler. The EDP is more sampler-like to
me>though, and the Repeater is more like a roland VP-9000.

I should have looked into the VP instead of the RPTR! I wasn't too
impressed
with RPTR pitching either (unless used for it's fuzz like abilities, highly
praise) and went back to using processor pitching until I hooked up with
some older gear and got it right with knobs and things.

>>3. You can live with the three button footswitch, until you integrate a
>>midi footcontroller into your rig. (you are limited to
>>Record/Overdub,Stop/Start,and Undo/Redone, with the 3 button footswitch)
>if you can live with the 3-button switch, save yourself some money and buy
>the Akai Headrush since that is what you will reduce your Repeater to. If
you actually plan to occupy your hands with another instrument and really
>use the features of the Repeater, you need a midi controller.

there are also a whole host of used tools that others have discarded in an
attempt to find the newest thing that does everything.

>>4. You can live without the instant overdub capability a alaA the EDP.

>That record into overdub thing is so boring. that's looping state of the
>art circa 1965. There's a hell of a lot more different about the EDP than
>that. The real-time multiply and insert and loop copies, multiple undo's,
>brother sync, unrounded multiply/insert, granular micro-looping, fully
>real-time funcion control, the sampler modes mentioned above, choice of
>quantized/unquantized function use, delay vs loop modes, continuous
>feedback control, crossfade knob, direct function to function access, the
>sync and time signature capabilities, etc etc.
>
>Likewise, there is far more different about the repeater - slip, beat
>detect, trim, 4 tracks, fx loop, independent pitch and tempo change, mix
>sliders, etc etc..

still the most important function for my looping is playing and having the
loop answer when called upon. kind of the way one goes about playing an
instrument (any instrument/tool). if it doesn't deliver when I ask it to
then it doesn't perform it's duties (is not working) or I don't understand
how to use that tool at that given time. So I work on that tool/instrument
until I nail it. Then again, I don't play the tuba. Nor do I have any
interest in same, at this given time.

>>5. You would rather support an innovative, small company like Electrix,
>or
>>a much larger corporate entity like Gibson ( who makes the EDP,correct me
>>if I'm wrong)
>
>you are wrong, see other mail.

agreed with Kim and have to add - I think I will also post this to the
Steinberger group on Yahoo. It's a shame that a company with money, like
Gibson would actually taint the reputations of small innovative companies,
just because they (Gibson) have money and marketing power that is, well,
what it is. unless someone has a personal gripe (and some do) Gibson is
guilty of what a lot of other companies are guilty of. making money. If you
decide (without investigating) that one product is better deserving of your
money then you had better know that you are uninformed. as Zappa would say,
"I figure the odds be 50/50", (man I must be sleepy). shitty odds for
money.

>>I always relied on a
>>jamman which only had four button footswitch live capability( unless you
>>used a midi pedal),so the repeater doesn't strike me, as it does some
>>loopers as a particularly cumbersome live tool.
>
>There was a time long ago when I was happy with Johnny Walker Red. Yes
>it's
>true! I didn't know any better. It was probably a glass of Glenlivet that
>awakened me to the possibilities the world had to offer. At the moment, as
>I sip a dram of Highland Park that's all but melting in my mouth, I can't
>even imagine going back to those dark days...
>kim

I remember drinking Red at a beach party, waking up to a young woman
singing
around a fire (quite frightening actually) and taking the train drunk and
queasy. and i upchucked.
Years later at Highland Brewery (which used to be Fat Tuesday's where Les
Paul played [he's now at Iridium]) I had among other things an 18 yr. old
Glenlivet. and well, that was a very nice evening.

best wishes, Pedro Felix - NYC 2002