Re: Analog looping in L.A.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for detailing Joseph Hammer's (non-repetitive) looping
technique. Using recorded sound-as-art material, or non-musical
devices as instruments, served my point departure from painting to
sound and performance in the late-70s.

I saw Joseph perform last August with Cindy Bernhard at Beyond
Baroque, in Venice. It was Part of Brandon LaBelle's: "Beyond Music"
festival. They performed just after dusk on the steps outside the
venue. Cindy was handling light projection: slowly changing color
fields on a screen set up behind Joseph. I don't recall what the
light source was, however.

Regarding the visual aspect...As the outside temperature dropped fog
off the ocean, which is only a mile or two away, began enveloping the
audience as we stood or sat on the lawn out front. Joseph wore white
gloves while handling the tape.

He also had a laptop next to his Ampex deck. I couldn't tell how it
may have been used to manipulated the sound. Maybe it was generating
color for the projection instead. I could certainly observe
correlations between Joseph's tape manipulation and how they effected
the source sounds of music and voices.

Best regards,
Eric

---------------------
Eric Leonardson: http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon

Upcoming Performances:

Sunday, Feb. 3 at 10pm, live on "Something Else," WLUW 88.7 FM, Chicago
Performing on Springboard and electronics with Jason Soliday on
computer. Hosted by Philip von Zweck. This broadcast can also be
heard via streaming audio. Link via http://www.wluw.org/.

Thursday, Feb. 7, 10pm at the Fireside Bowl, Chicago. Performing on
Springboard and electronics with Nick Sondy, bass and electronics.
Also playing, Dowser. Hosted by Thax Douglas.

Thursday, Feb. 21, Opening of Plasticene's "And So I May Return" at
the Viaduct, 3111 N. Western Ave., Chicago. For more info call (312)
409-0400.