Re: EDP hardware (2 EDPs)

I've been trying to work this one out as well.  It seems like with the
proper
setup, it could be possible to easily switch between mono and stereo,
giving you
the best of both worlds.

Here's my take on it, although I don't have two working EDPs nor a MIDI
pedal to
try it out:

Use each side of a stereo send to feed the EDPs.

Return the EDPs to separate channels.

For mono use, I assume the signal will be panned to the center, so it will
feed
each EDP equally, allowing you to use either one (or both) for looping.

For stereo operation, you pan the EDPs hard-left/hard-right at the mixer.

Now the part I'm not clear about: the MIDI pedal.  It seems that you
should be
able to program different sets of patches for the three scenarios that I
imagine:

a. Control EDP #1 only
b. Control EDP #2 only
c. Control EDP #1 & #2 the same time
d. Separate controls for EDP #1 & EDP &2 separately, but in the same patch

Of course, you can mix and match these control modes to take an
(initially) mono
signal and stereo-ize it, or vice-versa.  Cross-feeding of the signals is
also
possible.

Here's a idea for patch d: I don't know how deep MIDI footcontrol goes, but
maybe you could make it so that button x starts overdub on EDP #1 until you
press button y, which would then stop overdub on #1 and start it on #2.
When
you press the first x again, #1 starts overdubbing and #2 stops.  You
record
your loops with #1 and #2 both panned to center, pressing buttons x and y
alternately, so it sounds like a mono loop.  But then you slowly pan your
EDPs
left and right, and ping-ponged loops emerge from mono.  It could be a good
trick, I guess.

Here's my main concern:  will you get an increase in your levels if you
try to
record to both EDPs simultaneously and return them both to center on
separate
channels; or a drop in level when you try to use a stereo send to only
send to
one EDP and then return that EDP to center?

-Hans