Scratch - the movie

I caught an early show of the documentary film "Scratch" at the Nuart
in Santa Monica. It's (I think) a fairly comprehensive look at DJ and
turntablist scene. Although it didn't make me want to wear my hat
backwards, I was impressed by some of artists profiled, such as Mix
Master Mike and DJ Qbert.

I've been looking at some of the DJ technology, and some of it really
is remarkable. For those who really need to get their mitts on vinyl
but want to push the envelope there are disk cutters and even a
system that allows you to control a computer playback system from a
special vinyl record. There are also a number of very advanced CD
players that allow most or all of the vinyl spinning techniques, an
then some. I wonder if anyone on the list is familiar with these
systems, such as the Pioneer CDJ-1000 and Numark Axis 8. I'm also
curious about some of the more advanced DJ mixers that include
sampling functions.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com