Miking Congas

Hey, all:

I sold off my Handsonic a few months ago 'cause it was too much $$$ to sit doin' nothing until I needed congas or bongos.

But, I still like to use congas, et al every so often and popped for a Toca pair. I tried miking them with something from my equipment archives-an EV N/DYN. 257, I think.

The results were okay but the drums seemed muffled. Not sharp like when using the Roland Handsonic. What would be a reasonable-priced microphone to use with the Tocas?

Regards, Paul