Re: Miking Congas

--- William Mcallister <BILLYBUDDHA@webtv.net> wrote:
> I use the audix d2 for tom-toms on the dum kit. Audix sell this
> little drum mic kit which includes three different mic's the d2, d1
> d3, for snare, bass drum and tom-toms. I think a d2 is a little more
> expensive.
> But the sm57 is time tested, lots of pros still use the 57 and they
> could have aything they want. I always check out the miking on stage
> at shows. But its a personnel choice in the end.

Hmm... I interpreted the original question as asking about mics for
recording congas, but after reading it again, it's not clear whether he
was interested in stage mics or recording mics.

If you wanted stage mics, forget my previous recommendations, you'll
probably get too much feedback.

For stage mics, the Sennheiser 421s that someone else mentioned, or the
SM57s would be good choices. I'm not familiar with the Audix mic that
Bill recommended above, but other Audix mics I've used have had a crisp
clean sound.

The PickUpTheWorld contact pickup sounds like an interesting option
too. I've looked at their pickups for acoustic instruments in the past,
but haven't actually heard one. I have heard a lot of glowing
recommendations though. They do require a preamp, which will add to the
cost of the setup.

Greg