Re: OT abercrombie

Butch wrote:
> What about someone REALLY underated? John Abercrombie. Popular in
> Europe. Hardly known outside of certain jazz circles in the US.

He did a series of excellent recordings with Dr Lonnie Smith (organist ...
all
round bad ass motherfucker) and Marvin "Smitty" Smith (Tonight Show
drummer). A
two-disc tribute to Jimi Hendrix, and another disc dedicated to Coltrane.
they're among my favourite organ trio recordings.

john is kindofa tone freak geetarist type. very unusual in the context of
an
organ trio (usually organists play with guitarists who just want that
ES-175
through a clean solidstate amp with a lowpass filter set about 4000k kinda
sound). works very well.

i wanna see him do an album with Klaus Schulze really bad ...

Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com