Oakland CA Gig spam [Fwd: This week at 21 Grand]

Hey gang,

I'll be doing my ever popular re-scoring of the classic film TRON this
friday night at 8:30 at 21 Grand in Oakland (no longer located at 21
Grand, see www.21grand.org for directions)  I'll be joined by my friend
Gerard on turntables and devices.  Hope to see some of you there,

Mark Sottilaro

Title: This week at 21 Grand
This Week at 21 Grand
21 Grand is a multi-disciplinary arts space located at 449B 23rd St. (between Broadway and Telegraph) in Oakland.
21grand@onebox.com
(510) 444-7263

Thanks to everyone who came out for our art sale and those generous artists who donated work!

Friday, June 7 "Deus est Machina (God is Machine)" Nicedisc+Sleeping+Organoff 8:30PM $5-10

Local group, Sleeping creates progressive electronica with electronic rhythm tracks with keyboard loops, toys, samplers, a host of unholy devices, plus a DJ, and the frankenstein monster of guitars, the Chapman Stick. Sleeping incorporates video projection into their mainly improvised compositions ranging from free form to pop influenced pieces. Their influences range from Robert Fripp to Negativland to Laurie Anderson.

Nicedisc is a New York City laptop band from the f-matic collective. They will be bringing their mobile unit (dr. VHS and tapedeck) to preach the gospel of pixels and low-fi electronic noise.

Organoff is an improvised, interactive performance involving organs and "prepared guitars" and spontaneous composition of soundtracks to video, conceived of by Jon Brumit.

Saturday June 8 Artists' Reception for Symptom    7- 11PM free

This reception is happening in tandem with receptions at Door.7 and Ego Park, two art galleries within a block radius of 21Grand, forming the 23rd and Telegraph Art Nexus.

SYMPTOM

>From June 6 to June 30, 21Grand presents ³Symptom²: a two-person exhibition of  recent paintings by Narangkar Khalsa and recent photographs by Stephanie Dean. In this suite of work the two artists present their parallel views of the civilized wastes and sarcastic scenarios that intrigue them. In an observation tuned to the absurdly real, the two offer the sum of their explorations of urban life and common culture.

Themes that arise in the work of both artists are people, places, icons, and humor. Above all, the most constant theme is that of the awe of discovery. Through this approach to art, the two create new and disjuncted views of the world - paintings that are creepy and morbid, and photos that are humorously disturbing. These two artists have created a relapse for the pedestrian viewer in which he is compelled to digest mundane information rather than ignore it.

Tuesday June 11 Emergency String Quartet+Jesse Quattro+Heyl/Marsh Duo 8pm $5-10

Kurt Heyl - trombone (from New Mexico)
Bob Marsh - cello and voice

Jessie Quattro - solo voice

Emergency String Quartet - improvisations

Composer and multi-intrumentalist, Bob Marsh performs regularly on violin, cello, piano, vibraphone, flute, and uses extended vocal techniques. He is the founder of the Quintessentials, the Emergency String Quartet and the Emergency Piano Quintet. Trombone player, Kurt Heyl, hails from New Mexico. Jesse Quattro, vocalist, electronic processor and is the featured vocalist of the thrash metal group Saint of Killers and an active member of the Mills College Contemporary Performance Ensemble.