Re: Repeater vs EDP

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 06:24 PM, Steve Lawson wrote:

>> Given another year or two of
>> development, and I could seriously see this box wipe the EDP off of
>> the planet....
>
> surely you jest? very different boxes with different applications,
> methinks. I'm impressed by the feature set on the Repeater, but it
> ain't gonna replace the EDP - I can't really imagine swapping over...

I think I should stop posting during breakfast and be more awake :)

When I wrote what I wrote, I meant it, but in the light of the potential
hardware utilisation. The 4 independent tracks, potentially 4
independent outs, a number of potential inputs, higher clock
speeds....etc.

All this is let down by unfinished and buggy software.

As it stands, the Repeater is only the yang that goes with the ying in
your current setup (in my case, a DL4 - others the EDP) - but given a
couple years of intensive software development, the more up-to-date
hardware of the Repeater could override the EDP once it was utilised
correctly. Imagine a version of LoopIV for the Repeater? Its possible if
Electrix release the hardware specs into the open source community.
However, I'm not sure if this will happen.

I for one, would love to have an EDP in my setup. I have a feeling that
it is the ultimate ying.

--
Stuart Wyatt - Solo String Project
http://www.solostring.com