Re: Repeater vs EDP

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 11:27 PM, Mark Sottilaro wrote:

> Buggy?  I was one of the 1.1 beta testers, and I can pretty much say
> that
> there are very few bugs in the current Repeater OS.  My Repeater is
> very,
> very stable.  I think I got it to crash once, but I was doing something
> odd... I forget what...

Mine has not crashed, and its more limited rather than buggy. The main
bug I still get is attack sounds when I try to record drones on a
pre-recorded empty loop. Its the same when I try the same drones using
vocals.

> More MIDI implementation?  Seems pretty robust to me.  Is there a
> function
> you can't control via MIDI?

Yes - being able to control the Repeater in exactly the same way by
assigning the front panel buttons to the Midi footpedals/switches. A few
simple examples: Try erasing 3 tracks of a loop whilst the loop is
playing. Try to copy a loop via Midi. Try to alter the pitch/pan of
multiple tracks using a single controller.... in other words, you cannot
emulate the full front panel control of the repeater via midi. Its late
and I'm tired, but am I making sense?

Its also a shame that it has CC codes higher than 96, but that is a
fault of Roland and its FC200, not Electrix.

I use this box live, and have to do everything hands free (the violin
takes up both of those). There are times when I love this box, and times
when I curse it :)

> I do agree that the Repeater would be a more useful box if it could
> end a
> loop in overdub.  I hope Electrix lives to make that a feature in a
> future
> OS.  While they're at it, I'd love to be able to pre determine a loop
> length in measures.  Have it automatically drop out of record after 4
> or 8
> measures.  I hate having to think about closing the loop at the right
> time
> when synched to a MIDI clock.

Also, why not be able to have a 4 beat newly recorded track play along
to a 16 beat pre-recorded track on the same loop? The Repeater can
already do this with 'virtual loops'  (or whatever its called - their
memory saving system), so it has the potential. Just imagine finishing
one piece at 128 beat loops, and merging it with a simple 4 beat
loop.... then moving the new 4 beat to a new track, then switching to
that new track....

Etc. etc.

> Does anyone else here this delay?

I've not noticed any latency....