Re: granular looping

skincage wrote:

> i'd really like to hear some examples of this!

Here are a few granular-related things I've done; you can specifically
hear it in the very beginnings of each track:

http://shoko.calarts.edu/~altruist/generator.mp3
http://www.altruistmusic.com/soundfiles/insinuation.mp3
http://www.altruistmusic.com/ram/ttgtr2.ram
http://www.altruistmusic.com/ram/ttgtr3.ram

All of these examples are using the Insert=SUS and Unrounded Multiply
functions in conjunction with the Stutter Interface mode.  What happens
is that I play a semi-random collection of sounds into the EDP, and then
use quick taps of the SUS-Insert button (sometimes a scant millisecond
or two) to "stretch" the length of the loop.  I do this until I start to
hear a specific sound I like, and then I use that new loop as the
launching point for building up a piece.

In the last two examples (which are RealAudio streams), I use it to take
an initial arhythmic loop and "sculpt" it until it has some discernable
rhythm.  Both of these streams are (very!) extended improvs, and at
various points within I start redefining the length of the loop again,
still using Insert=SUS and Unrounded Multiply in Stutter mode, to break
out of the previous loop's rhythmic basis.  Then I "re-sculpt" the loop
until I get a new rhythmic feel I like, and go from there.
Conceptually, it's the equivalent of a DJ cross-fading from one record
to another.

This is only one application of the granular approach, and a pretty
obscure one at that.  There are a lot of other possibilities to play
with, and I'm really looking forward to hearing what other people come
up with.

OK,

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com