Re: OT: CARP passed- this sucks.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen P. Goodman" <spgoodman@earthlight.net>
> Well, it might not be as bad as it could have been - but it just goes to
> show that Democracy has this one single problem.  It requires
>participation.
> Thanks for those of you who took the trouble to contact their
> congressman/senator about this.  Shame on the rest, alas, but if you feel
> remorse at this unfortunately late point, get in touch with your
> congressman/senator to voice your disappointment and concerns.
> http://www.copyright.gov/carp/webcasting_rates_final.html
>
> Stephen P. Goodman
> EarthLight Productions

Thank you Stephen for the kick in the pants.  Here is what I just sent to
the
Library of Congress:
=====================
Dear Mr. Billington,

Shame on you for pandering to the big record companies.  By treating
internet
radio differently than over-the-air radio, you are doing a disservice to
the
American public.  Internet radio is NOT file sharing and provides the
exposure
small artists need that Clear Channel (and that ilk) will never provide.

Those of us who contrate their listening on non-mainstream genres of music
no
longer have a place to go to hear what we want.  You have just put our
stations
out of business.  And that statement would remain true even if you didn't
have
that rediculous grandfather clause that requires payments for broadcasts
since
1998.

Shame on you for ignoring the small, independant musicians in your
decision.

Sincerely,

Bill Fox