RE: SV: Apple Acquires Emagic

I was excited this AM, but now I am somewhat confused as to what Apple
expects to get out of this:

Do they think they are buying a dominant highly competitive player who is
going to gobble marketshare and drive their revenues? I don't really see
that working for them?

Do they see themselves as pushing a native audio platform built on Emagic
core source? Nice, but with the Mac world at 5% and the beauty of the mac
being able to manage multiple vendors and platforms reletively cleanly
(emphasis on reletive to Windows) I don't quite get that either.

I could see them working some interesting angles on mass-market level as
they have done with the imac with the bundled video app they have (my mac
is
too old to have it -sorry I don't know the name) and smooth
upgrade/compatibility with Final Cut Pro. Perhaps they imiatate and/or
integrate. That would be cool.

The last thing I would want to see is the cottage industry audio developer
community spurned with some pay-to-develop SDK which is a possibility. I
like all my silly shareware apps!

But it's a surprise to me overall - anyone else have any good theories on
what's goin on upstairs in Appleland?

Ben