Re: stereo

About this stereo business, let me add my
thoughts: in September of 1990, I saw The
Grateful Dead for the very first time. I was
basically on the far right hand side of the stage
(from the audience's perspective), not on the
floor, but in the seating section that was to the
side of the stage, you could have ostensibly
drawn a straight line from where Garcia, Weir,
etc the area where I was sitting. During the
percussion that Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann
always did during the second set, I could most
distinctly hear the quadrophonic panning effects
that were being used. When stuff was coming out
of the rear speakers only, it was easy enough to
tell.

When I saw Pink Floyd in 94, I was on the far
left hand of the audience, quite a distance from
the stage, and pretty close to one of the PA
stacks. Again I could distinctly hear things
coming from behind me. For instance, the voice at
the beginning of Great Gig In The Sky that says
"I'm not afraid of dying, anytime will do", or
the drone at the beginning of Sorrow.

Mind you, these examples aren't specifically
about stereo, they're about quad (or whatever you
want to call what Pink Floyd was using, it seemed
like they had five PA stacks, two on other side
of the stage, two on either side of what I guess
would have been aprox. the 50 yard line on a
football field, and one in the rear of the
audience). But I think these demonstrate that
panning can be used in stadium and arena
environments. Mind you, I don't know if everyone
else in the audience would have been able to
notice these effects. Maybe I just lucked out in
both instances and just happened to be in one of
the "sweet spots" in the room.

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones