RE: Looper census - pre-recorded loops

dt... thanks for the response...

> >anyone else consider 'live mixing' to be part of their show?
> absolutely, as i've said before.
> though my show isn't really a show.

hmmm... do you mean that you don't do a live performance?  do you do most
of
your work in the studio?

> >hmmm... i'm guessing that from the amount of responses to this query
>that
> >dance music is pretty far from the kind of stuff most people do here.
> it might be more informative to find out than to guess.....
> i'm sure there's all kindsa looping going on, connected-to-here.

absolutely, and i may query the list about it... i'm just drawing that
conclusion from what i've observed the general dialog on the list to be.

frankly, the genre of music people do isn't really important to me on this
list, and i think that's a nice thing about the list in general.  we're
here
to discuss tools and techniques and gather ideas.  of course, i am
_curious_
what people classify their music as.  maybe i'll post about it shortly
after
all.  ;)

> >i'm kind of struggling right now with the usefulness of my
> repeater.  given
> >that i still haven't figured out a realistic way to make real
> time sampling
> >work for me
> really?
> you could, among other things, try:
> keeping a source running material that ya can't hear, to sample from ---
> could be tv tracks, or solo'ed om khalsoum, etc etc (non-transient,
> non-rhythmic mat'l could work well) --- randomly into the
> repeater, locked to
> tempo..... and fly it in, to taste.....
> etc

anything non rhythmic would work well, definitely.

cool ideas.  i use reaktor and some granular soft synths, it would be
pretty
cool to sample them and make loops out of them live.  it would take some
practice though.

i could definitely use more ideas on how to use the repeater...

> >(since everything in my music operates so precisely),
> any musical technique can be learned to be effected precisely;
> i'm sure that
> you could get your repeater to lock to whatever your masterclock is, no?

haven't had much luck yet getting the repeater in a tight enough sync to be
able to add rhythmic accompaniment to my set.  however, i have been able to
do this manually... just hit 'start' over and over again until it syncs up
in my cue, and then i can throw it in the mix.

of course, i can do the same thing with an mpc, and instead of being
limited
to 4 tracks of audio, have as many as i like going on and use the touchpad
to turn loops on and off.  this is all possible, of course, because i don't
usually need to change tempo while my set is running.

paul