Re: Audio interfaces

> From: bruno kleinefeld
> Above all there's another issue you should
> consider. MOTU 828 and
> Tascam US-428 are not comparable. The USB is
> much slower so with the
> U-428 you can record just two tracks
> simultaneously.

Actually the us-428 can record up to 4 tracks
simultaneously.  It had it's issues when it came
out, but with the new drivers it has become much
more stable and reliable.  And I believe most of
the problems where on pc's anyways. There are
relatively few complaints from mac users.  I'm
using mine on XP and i've had no problems.  The
latency hasn't been much of an issue for me
either, i find it falls within an acceptable
range.  But as far as portability goes the 828
wins hands down.

As for the controls on the 428, i guess it
depends how important they are for you.  They are
definitely a plus, but it is worth checking the
compatibility with the software you use, and if
it will really help you out.

FWIW, if I could've afforded it at the time I
would've probably gotten the 828, but I am happy
with the 428.

Ernesto