Re: Using the Behringer FCB1010 midi controller w/ echoplex

hi Terry-

At 02:07 PM 7/21/2002, stations@cinci.rr.com wrote:
>Can anyone on the list tell me how to set up the Behringer FCB1010 midi
>foot controller to work with the echoplex? I can't get it to change
>anything at all on the echoplex.

if some behringer owner could help him I would appreciate it, since I
don't
know anything about programming that pedal and don't have time to read the
manual for it right now.

>I changed the note numbers like you suggested to what is below, but still
>nothing is working.
>
>Here is how I set up the Behringer: (what note I
>set the behringer to send for each)
>
>I set the Global midi to ch #1

I think you have to set the notes specifically to midi ch 1, if I
understood the behringer manual when I glanced at it before.

>Footswitch #1 = record           note 8

this one is wrong, it should be note 38.

>Footswitch #2 = overdub          note 39
>
>Footswitch #3 = reverse          note 49
>
>Footswitch #4 = 1/2 speed        note 48
>
>Footswitch #5 = substitute       note 46
>
>Footswitch #6 = multiply         note 40
>
>Footswitch #7 = insert           note 41
>
>Footswitch #8 = mute             note 42
>
>Footswitch #9 = undo             note 42

this one is wrong, should be note 43.

>Footswitch #10 = next loop       note 44

>Here is how I have the echoplex midi set up (is this correct?):
>
>channel = *1
>
>control source + not
>
>source # = 36
>
>vol cont = 7
>
>feedback control = 1

yes, this is correct. I think your problem here is on the Behringer side.

> > As another user explained to me, there is a calibration procedure
>needed
> > for pedals that is explained on the Behringer website. (not in the
>manual
> > apparently)
>
>I went to the Behringer site but couldn't find this. Do you know exactly
>where this is explained?  Do you think this calibration thing could be
>the
>problem?

i understood that to be about the expression pedals that you would be
using
to control feedback and volume, so i don't think this is your problem. I
have no idea where to find this at the Behringer site. (didn't have time
look for you.)

>I searched the Loop archives for Behringer FCB1010 midi controller. All
>the posts I found talked about using it with the Repeater and none about
>how to set it up and use it with the echoplex.

I would expect that somebody using it with the Repeater might still be
able
to explain to you how to program the pedal. The problem is in programming
the Behringer to do what you want, and anybody familiar enough with that
pedal should be able to explain it.

>(I am going to join the list and see if anyone can help like you
>suggested.)

welcome!

>I have a suggestion for you.  Could you guys make a midi pedal just for
>the echoplex? You could have it set from the factory to to everything (in
>non erasable memory). Have how ever many banks you need to, set up from
>the factory to do all of the most useful things.
>
>Then you could also have ways to create your own banks with custom
>settings as well.

I'm sure that would be lovely, and I would certainly like to see better
midi pedals available, but if I had the couple of spare years and
$2-3million in funding this would require, I would probably spend it on
developing another looper instead of a midi pedal.

probably it is simpler for users to trade sysex dumps from the existing
batch of pedals. Very simple to do with the Digitech PMC-10 and Sean's
Raymond editor.

>I bet uou'd sell one to every one who has an echoplex.

I'd want to set my sights a little higher than that I think....

>Another suggestion. Seeing how the Behringer FCB1010 midi controller
>seems
>to be the only one you can find readily in stores right now, and it is
>only $129, it seems like a lot of echoplex users may get one. (assuming
>they work)

yamaha MFC10, roland FC200, and Rocktron AllAccess are in stores, although
they cost more.

>It makes no sense to suggest for people to try and find midi controllers
>that are no longer in production. (even if they are better)

hmm, don't agree. Current midi pedal manufacturers make crappy pedals, and
I'm not interested in supporting them for it. You will be much happier
with
some of the out-of-print pedals, because they are much better. If current
manufacturers get the message that people would rather use an "old" pedal
because it is actually much better than their "new" pedal, perhaps they
will finally make a decent pedal.

>There has to be a midi controller that is reasonably priced, readily
>available, and easy to set up and use with the echoplex.
>
>As a midi controller greatly adds to what the echoplex can do, I think it
>would be worth your time to eventually put up detailed on how to set up
>the FCB1010 midi controller to work with the echoplex.

that seems like a fine idea, although I think it seems strange that I
should have to explain how to program Behringer's pedal....seems like that
is Behringer's job to me.

Anyway, if I created such a document, I would need help from somebody who
uses the Behringer pedal since I don't have one.

BTW, I saw that Behringer announced a new software update for the FCB1010
at NAMM the other day. I don't know what's new about it.

kim