Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

Interesting discussion (up to a point).

I normally eschew the word "effect" in favor of such terms as
"process" or "signal processor." This is because ever since I started
working with electronic music systems in the '70s I have treated
studio and performance systems either as instruments or as sound
design procedures. Perhaps this is because I moved from the role of
vocalist/instrumentalist to that of composer and thence to performer
on electronic systems. I did have a fuzz tone and a wah-wah pedal
briefly toward the end of my guitar-player period, but once I was
making tape music these were just special instances of timbral
modifiers.

If I do use "effect" it is usually to describe something that is
imposed as a minor "coloration" to the sound of an otherwise clearly
identifiable instrument. Once the "processor" crosses the line to
becoming a significant determinant of the sound it is clearly a part
of the instrument.