Re: Dummy Loads, Line Outs, and thangs like that

--- Mark Sottilaro <sine@zerocrossing.net> wrote:
> The problem with what you're proposing is that part of what makes a
> tube amp
> "warm" is the interaction with the load (speaker) and the tube
> amplifier stage.

Actually, I think it's the reaction between the speaker(s) and the
output transformer, but same type idea.

>  The thing about a speaker is it's impedance rating is not
> fixed.

True, but there are speaker load simulator devices which present the
tube amp with a reactive load. Units like the Marshall Power Brake do
this. Some also offer a line out which should be far superior in tone
to the line out your amp may have. I've heard very few amps that had a
decent sounding line out (it's usually taken BEFORE the power stage, so
it's all buzzy preamp distortion...). Some offer speaker simulation
too, but I guess you wouldn't need that in the setup you described.

The best sounding speaker simulator/load device I've personally heard
was the old Marshall SE100. I don't think they make that one any more,
but the Power Brake might also sound good. I've heard from several
people that the Palmer is very good too (although more expensive). I
heard one recording done direct through one and it was very nice.

Like David suggested, try the Rivera's line out into the JC120 to see
how you like the sound. If you like it, any old load device (even a big
resistor) should do, and you're good to go. If not, try out a load
device that has a line out on it and see if it suits you. Run a long
speaker cable and put the Rivera's cab in another room so you can judge
the tone without having to buy anything.

Greg