Re: Sony VAIO and laptop workstations in general

At 07:07 AM 8/11/2002, RandomLFO@aol.com wrote:
>      Hello. I am using a Gateway PIII/1.066 GHz, with a Layla24 laptop.

>      I'm using WinXPpro. The big downside to this so far is the fact that
>WinXPpro doesn't seem to want to let you change IRQ assignments.

they are abstracting as far from the hardware as possible, to make your
life easier. I think it usually does for most people, at the expense of
people trying to custom tune things.

>At least no
>help whatsoever from Gateway's supposed tech support. With some software,
>am getting some glitches in the audio due to the fact that the graphics
>card
>(along with everything else) is sharing IRQ 10 with the cardbus slots.

that is among the many legacies of a 25 year old hardware platform. People
don't realize how much these legacy hardware problems of the pc
motherboard
limit the performance of the whole platform.

are you sure that sharing interrupts is even the problem? a lot of things
are designed to do that. Especially in newer systems using xp/2000.

> From
>what I have read so far, the changing of the IRQs occurs in the BIOS
>(WinXP).

you probably need to turn off ACPI somehow, which would probably be a bad
idea in a laptop. You might even need to reinstall windows with some
different options, which I would be scared to do.

>  I'll be taking that adventure this week. I'm thinking that I might have
>purchase a new BIOS for my laptop. Anyone have any good suggestions on
>this?

I don't think you can purchase a new BIOS from a third party, can you?
Programming the BIOS is a very specialized and difficult thing, and
requires deep detailed knowledge of the hardware that only the
manufacturer
knows, as well as deep knowledge of all the legacy pc crap. you might be
able to get an updated one from the mfr.

>  No matter what laptop you buy, call the manufacturer up and
>get them to tell which cardbus and Firewire cards they are using in their
>units.

a nit, but they don't put cards in a laptop. It's a chip on the
motherboard. many different card and motherboard manufacturers may use the
same chip.

kim