Re: Brian May's setup

<< Chris, thanks for the in-depth post.
According
  to what I'd heard, the reason he  supposedly
used the three banks of four was so he could
apply
separate effects as you mentioned to each amp, in

a single bank, and then switch to a second or
third bank if he needed to, as he'd apparently
felt that the AC-30s weren't very reliable.
<smile>-so the set-up was a  redundant back-up
just in case.  <smile> >>

Well, the redundant aspect might explain why he
had multiple amps hooked up to each output. I
don't know how reliable those AC-30's are.
Remember, he was using the original amps from the
60's, not reissues. I always wondered why you
always saw these hard rock and metal bands where
each guitarist is plugged into multiple amps. I'd
always read in Guitar Player where these
guitarists would say things like "I'm using 4
Marshall stacks onstage". Do any of these guys
actually use ALL of them at once, where the other
three just back up and/or just there "for show".
I can tell you that wall of AC-30's certainly
looked impressive on stage. :-)

<< who knows though, I'm sure there's so much
mis-info going around about famous players it's
not even funny! >>

This is true. What cracks me up are the ads I
still see for Electro-Harmonix where it's
mentioned that Hendrix used a Big Muff. Well, as
far as I know, Jimi never used one. Maybe used
one in the studio at some point, but I think
onstage the only distortion pedals he used were a
Fuzz Face and an original Roger Mayer built
Octavia (he probably went through a number of
each, as I'm sure stuff was always breaking down,
getting stolen, etc). I love it when
manufacturers mention a musician in an ad, just
because the guitarist in question played the
instrument for five minutes at a trade show or
whatever. There was an old BC Rich ad that had
Eric Clapton in it, back in the mid 70's.
Clapton?! Playing a BC Rich?! I don't think so,
but then, this was back when he was still
drinking pretty heavy.

But the comments I made were based on interviews
I read with Brian himself where he explained how
all this works. He said that he was able to get a
cleaner sound if he had each signal coming out of
a seperate amp, and he could process, eq, etc
each signal seperately as well.

<<I think people should just get a sound they
like, and become famous themselves!...    lol! >>

Well, the first part is the one that's relatively
easy. I don't know if my sound is particularly
unique, but I do feel I get the sounds I want
pretty easily. Now, becoming famous, that's
something else altogether. :-)

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones