OT: Silliness -was- Re: Do you even know the definition of the word influential?!

  You said,  I saw the Sleepless video and a King
>Crimson concert on MTV, and was immediately taken
>by the band.

  *Gasp*  Oh my God!, where did they take you?!!!   <big smile>   -just had
to...   lol!   Have a wonderful evening!...

Smiles,

CQ

At 06:19 PM 8/25/02 -0700, you wrote:
><<I think the key is that he "did" expose them.
>as in Past Tense. That was decades ago. Everybody
>who was going to be influenced by that already
>was. New people today are not getting interested
>in looping because of Fripp or Eno.>>
>
>Again, I have to argue your point. First of all,
>I first heard of Fripp and Eno (and the various
>musical projects they've been involved in over
>the years) back around 84 or so. I read about
>Adrian Belew in the January 84 issue of Guitar
>Player. I had heard of King Crimson prior to this
>(largely because I knew that Greg Lake and John
>Wetton both had been in the group...at the time,
>I knew of Lake and Wetton primarily via their
>connection with Asia) but really didn't know
>their music. I saw the Sleepless video and a King
>Crimson concert on MTV, and was immediately taken
>by the band. Subsequently, I read about
>Frippertronics in various music magazines. The
>idea of looping immediately grabbed my attention.
>It wasn't long after this that I acquired Fripp's
>Let The Power Fall (I wish I still had it, I
>don't think I've ever seen it on CD) and Under
>Heavy Manners/God Save The Queen. I also have
>several of the Soundscapes performances. Point
>being: not everyone who is influenced by Fripp
>heard his music "decades ago", and in fact, most
>of the really big influence he has on my playing
>really only during the 90's, when I got some of
>the live Crimson recordings from the 71-74 era
>lineups. It was then that I first heard the
>classic Fripp "laser beam" fuzztone lead sound
>that really had a big impact on me.
>
>Also,  you seem to insinuate that young people
>don't listen to progressive rock or "classic"
>rock performers. This simply isn't true. While
>it's admittedly not as popular with the younger
>crowd as it was in 1973, I still see plenty of
>young people at prog concerts I've attended over
>the last few years. This summer, at NEARfest
>(that's the North East Art Rock Festival, held in
>Trenton, NJ back in June), I met a family who had
>a young girl who was about 8 or so. I was curious
>to know if she was "dragged" to the show by her
>parents or if she was genuinely into this kind of
>music. Turns out it was the latter, and that in
>fact, when she heard that Hackett was going to be
>at NEARfest, it was SHE who wanted to go. And I
>see lots of teenagers at various shows. So, I'm
>sure there's still 18 year old guitarists,
>drummers and whatever who are hearing records
>like No Pussyfooting, or Fripp's Soundscapes
>records or whatever, and having their ideas of
>what can be done with music be re-arranged.
>
>=====
>May you never thirst!
>The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris
>
>"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones

>Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes
>http://finance.yahoo.com

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates