Re: OT: Silliness

At 09:40 AM 8/28/2002, Hans wrote:
>Somewhere I saw a figure that turntables outsold guitars last year.
>Some people around here feel that the slump in guitar sales is due to
>the fact that rock isn't as hip as it was in the past, and that there
>aren't really any guitar heroes rockin' the charts.

I don't have the namm numbers for 2001, but in 2000 they noted that dj
gear
"has gone from a curiosity to a rapidly growing phenomenon to a sizable
mainstream category in the industry."

as they note, their dj sales data doesn't capture the whole market since
they split things like power amps, speakers, sequencers, drum machines,
etc
into other categories. so it is mainly dj mixers, turntables, and dj cd
players that they track. US numbers for 2000 are:
dj market: 131.5M
electric guitars: 490M
acoustic guitars: 440M

electric guitars had been in a steady decline since the mid-90's, but
spiked up again in 2000. dj gear has been on an exponential growth rate in
the same period, starting to level out as that market matures. I don't
have
data for last year yet, but I doubt they crossed over each other. I don't
have data for the rest of the world, just the US.

kim