Re: Repeater ruminations

on 8/30/02 1:31 PM, Greg House at ghunicycle@yahoo.com wrote:

>> * What's with this running out of memory after doing lots of
>> overdubs? It's
>> not like it lets one walk back through the overdubs (beyond the
>> single level
>> of undo). So what's it doing with the memory? Did I miss something?
>
> It retains one level of overdub, and it uses additional memory for each
> track. Perhaps you used very close to the memory limit on your initial
> tracks, so overdubs are pushing the threshold.
>
> Are you recording to the internal memory or the CFC? This is one of the
> more confusing things I've noticed about the unit. If the loop number
> has a little tick mark next to it, it's on the (very limited size)
> internal memory. Select a loop number on the CFC (no tick mark next to
> the loop number in the display) before you start and you shouldn't have
> memory problems ...well... unless your card is full (or missing).

This was to the internal memory, but I was able to do several rounds of
overdubbing before it hit me with the memory limit, so I don't think it's a
matter of the memory being close to exhausted. My question is: Since I
can't
disengaging record), why would it eventually run out of memory?

Is it consuming additional storage whenever overdubbing while tempo
shifted?
If so, why?

Has anyone else had this happen?

Steps to reproduce:

* Record a loop at about 96 bpm (or the speed of your choice).
* Using an external MIDI source bring it up to 100 bpm.
* Now, do repeated overdubs onto various tracks.

The only other explanation I can think of is that I might have multiplied
the loop out and then been squeaking by on virtual tracks for most of the
overdubs. If no one else is seeing this, I'll assume that's the
explanation.
(Wow. The internal memory really doesn't go very far when dealing with 4
track loops. I hadn't used the CFC because I was trying to have minimal
impact on Rick's Repeater.)

Mark