Re: Carvin pu: a massive thanks

--- Stan Card <stanitarium@earthlink.net> wrote:
> since we're all oh teein and such-i wanna know why those <carvin
> p/us> are
> so important?is it the name brand(allan holdswworth) er wot?
> just that i think <carvin> in general,amps,guitars,pa s,are pretty
> cheap, cheap sounding, cheaply put together...

While this may have some merit with selective pieces, I don't think
it's true of their entire product line.

The Carvin instruments I've played (a couple of guitars) were very
nice. Felt good, nice playable neck, excellent setup, flexable pickup
configuration. My friend bought a Carvin bass as a gift for his brother
and he said it was an outstanding instrument, especially for the price.

> i work w/ a band who has in their rider"no carvin or peavey equipment
> use in house" and there is a reason for that specifically.

I've heard some of the older Carvin PA gear was low quality. My friend
replaced a Carvin PA with some other stuff and reported a massive
improvement in sound quality. I ran sound for a band many years ago who
had two power amps, one a Carvin. The Carvin consistantly sounded worse
then the other, and despite it's higher rated output, didn't get as
loud. Could have been something wrong with it... I can't speak for the
current batch, but I've heard pretty positive reports from people on
the web.

I've heard four Carvin bass amps that I remember and thought they all
sounded pretty good. A couple of friends with them reported problems,
which were repaired under warranty. I've only played one of their
guitar amps, a much older one from the early 80s. It sounded great and
was very flexable, a lot like a MesaBoogie MkII. A guy I work with
bought a more recent guitar amp and it had noise problems so he
returned it.

Greg