Re: MiniDisc for field recording

I'm currently using a Sony MZ-N1 with a MS-stereo electret condenser mic,
Sony ECM-MS907.  It provides 12 hours recording with internal Ni-MH
battery,
or 30 hours with additional AA battery attached.

I just got this set-up about 6 months ago and I've been very pleased with
the results and have found it to be pretty forgiving of the range of input
levels I use the record.

The Sony MZ-N1 comes with a USB cradle that hooks up to your PC to
high-speed ~upload~ files to MD using the NetMD software (PC ONLY!).
Unfortunately, this software does not support song download from MD, which
is a *HUGE* bummer. So you either have to download from the MD digitally or
using analog audio and some other software. . I can't tell you how many
people buy these units expecting to drag 'n drop material they recorded on
the MD to their PC using NetMD ... it just isn't going to happen. I use
analog audio into a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum with Sound
Forge 6.0

The NetMD software is at least nice to help manage files on a MD using your
PC ... reorganizing songs, naming them, remote control from PC, etc ... but
there are many limitations.I would definitely check into the NetMD software
some more and reach your own conclusion whether it add value for you ...
you
either like it or hate it.

Here's more details on this unit and NetMD software:
http://www.minidisc.org/brian_youn/mzn1/

Ohhh, the only other thing I hate is that almost all vendors don't provide
some sort of protective case with these players, so plan on spening a
little
more money on a case. I ended up getting a small Case Logic deal the fit my
MD, mic, spare battery, and a few extra MDs.