Re: dancing loops - MIDI Ball Website

>      Hi Matthias. I would guess that the idea of the MIDI Ball could
>be applied in many different ways, including the way you have
>proposed. I think that it would be great! I wonder if Tactex could
>actually make a small handball out of their smartfabric. I know that
>StarrLabs used small rubber balls (cut in half) in a custom
>controller that they built. Although this is applied in a much
>different fashion that what you have proposed, I think that the
>precedent is already there.

I just came back from a speach of a dance musician from Sao Paulo and
somebody asked him about such trigger technologies. He said more or
less:
"The technology is simple and possibilities infinite, but when it
comes to create art with it, what is it you want to control with the
trigger? All approaches I have seen so far have been between grotesk
and boring."

Well, it took 20 years until the synthesizers became expressive and
beautifull... and it was not so much due to improvement of the
technology but players like Kit Watkins, Jan Hammer, Chick Corea...
who learned to operate it.

Did any of you see trigger controlled dance music that sounded more
than just "interesting"?

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org