Counting Calories

I find that the quality of my music is hampered lately by my diet.
Is it loopy to count calories?  I seem to loop in and out of commitment to
diet.  I think it's because I've always been fond of the joules model of
heat-energy consideration and get bored by the bland nature of mere
calories, which then have to be converted into joules.
In truth I'm almost positive that the best use of food sometimes is to put
it one a plate and envision that it was once alive, so intensely that it
seems to come to life, and then you can stick to a diet without much
difficulty at all.  Only problem then is the problem of determining what to
eat at all, ever, and that's where my brain enters and endless loop.
Hm.