Re: only a A part?

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:31:56 -0300, "Matthias Grob" <matthias@grob.org>
said:
> I wonder where the so typical forms ABACA and such come from and
> whether they are needed for the understanding of the public or maybe
> are overcome tradition?

I think they are just standards set by different cultures depending on
their beliefs and what they consider the purpose of music to be. Most of
the forms we use come from western european traditions, and that is
reflected in the art music.  Beethoven, Mozart and all those guys worked
within certain form limitations, even when they "broke the rules", so the
audience had a certain reference point to appreciate the music. In fact I
think a lot of "new music" has lost its appeal to most people because
there are no standards in form.  Everytime you listen to a new work you
have to figure out the form as it goes along, which can take away from
the enjoyment.

In the last century, western music has been incredibly influenced by
African music, which uses a lot of repetition.  A lot of electronic music
uses these forms, as well as a lot of looping music. The way i see it,
the further you drift away from known forms, the less people you'll reach
(that is, of course, a huge generalization) and i guess it's up to the
musician to decide who they want to reach.  In this day and age where
there is such a blending of cultures and music, I think many musicans
have to set their own parameters to work in, parameters which are usually
set by the society they live in.  Although then again, I don't think its
something you should think about too much....just do what feels right and
hopefully you'll find your audience.

Ernesto

--
ernesto schnack