RE: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

>Hi--
>Thot I'd start without MG's text--less bytes--so please refer to his
>original (in archives if you didn't get the original)--
>It's looping all right, but it's also definitely music (of one style or
>another, since it's audio, and probably melodic and/or rhythmic), and also
>tool-based.  If it's an art form, that's OK, but we'll get more mileage
>out
>it if it's a POPULAR art form 8^)

so is it Loop-Music? As opposed to looping as the technique.

>I'm pretty excited about Gibson finally getting behind promoting
>looping--heck, I'll make a recording!--and I think a lot of the things
>that
>are already on LD are appropriate for that--but who decides?  And what
>does
>that do to Kim's project?

You mean LD? It will increase traffic, since the new site will atract
musicians, too, and we will not explain the technique there, but link
to LD.
Apart from this, I dont think it will change a lot...

>Matthias said, "There is some essence which is not limited to music and
>sound."  OK, I'll bite--what is it?
>If we need to characterize this manner of producing musical entertainment
>with delays (which is what I am assuming we all do and call it looping), I
>truly can't think of a better example than the recent one by Ted Killian
>with regard to juggling and gravity.  This was spot on!

yes, I like that picture a lot, too. Could be a animation on the site?
After all, juggling as come out of the circus and is pretty popular, no?

>What I am finding is that I enjoy certain artists who loop regardless of
>whether they are looping or not, and don't necessarily enjoy loop artists
>per se.  Although technical expertise with a loop device is a requirement,
>IT'S NOT THE LOOPING I ENJOY, it's the music.

right, the Loop-Music? Is this term still "free"?
What musicians out there in the world call their music Loop-Music,
althought its not based on real time looping tools as we like it here?

>Matthias wonders, why is looping not an art form?  Or can it be called
>that?
>Well, it definitely requires skill (lemme tell ya) as well as a certain
>grace.  And the music produced with looping devices stands apart from that
>which is produced with only live humans (although it can be simulated, why
>would you try?) (although, aren't there some Steve Reich and Phillip Glass
>pieces that are like this?)

yes, there are, but they dont call it looping, they call it Minimal-Music

>But it still winds up being different styles of music because it so
>faithfully reproduces (he he he) the intent of the artist--it's you only
>more of the same (dt).

a good one, too!

>So I would think it's just the musical art form
>using a certain set of tools--like norteņo uses the bajo sexto and button
>accordion, but you COULD play jazz with that instrumentation (hoo boy)
>So we could call this new music "Juggle" . . . ?

Juggle-Music? Why not? Quite a marketing effort to establish such a
new Artform, but if we all agree on it, we may manage...

>Gary
>PS  I never really know when I'm kidding, or not . . .

yeah, its a problem... I try to be serious, for a change...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org