Re: Please lets all sit together now and define what we do!

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 03:40  AM, omjn wrote:

> off the cuff definition:
>
> looping: the conscious and controlled application of difference and
> repetition to information and/or data.

I'd say that's about as perfect a definition as you're going to get on
this subject.  Anything more specific and you're going to exclude
people, and that's not useful.  However, I think I know what Matthais
is getting at, but it's impossible.  Read a definition about what music
is.  Webster says," the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in
succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a
composition having unity and continuity"  does that "really" define
music?  sounds kind of boring.  Looping is like that too.  Doesn't look
good on paper, but when you experience it, BAM!  If we are to become
looper evangelists, we need to quit the chit chat, and get out more to
do product demos and shows.  More importantly, these demos have to give
people the chance to try out the loop tools.  That's the way you'll
hook people.

I attempted to get this going with Electrix when it existed, and I was
ignored, but perhaps Gibson would do something like this.  This way, we
won't have to talk about what looping is, we can show people.

Mark Sottilaro