Re: The LOOP Movements

Matthias Grob wrote:

> The fact that I finally can make a living now and probably another
> while from the loop tools instead of the music is of little
> importance for all of this - is that an answer, Mark?
> --
>
>           ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org

It sure is Matthias.  I didn't really ask it because I was in doubt, but it
felt like a lot of people were coming down on you for trying to pidgin hole
them into some paradigm.  I felt it needed to be restated by you, and you
did.  Frankly, I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about being
promoted in some way... any way.  No description will be totally accurate.
Words are symbolic, and imperfect in nature.  Humans are imperfect by
nature as well.  I'm all for coming up with a name, but Freedom music would
not be it, as it implies politics too much, and doesn't elude to what we
do.  To be honest, Looping is probably the best word we're going to find
(in English at least) but that with some interesting tag line and examples
of the possibilities of what looping can do for a musician would be key in
promoting it.

However, I really think that you can be told what an <insert name of
favorite looper here> does, you can see a demo of it, and still not be
interested in it... until you use one.  I've seen my wife Valerie and
friend Katrin both come around to looping, but only after fooling around
with my JamMan.  I think any web page should be a companion to a live
workshop/demo tour.

It should be fairly easy.  They're are a lot of us all over the place.
First, we'd need to have somewhat of a "lesson plan" made for each device
to somewhat standardize the information.  I'd write one up for the Repeater
for sure... but my short time with and EDP would make me nervous about
trying to teach someone that device. Part of that lesson plan would include
some time that people could sign up to actually try it out with a teacher's
assistance.  I know I'd do a demo for free if I was also able to plug a CD
or live show.  Would others be good with this?  That would mean it would
cost Gibson very little.  Mostly administration time and the cost of some
tee-shirts (what would a product demo be without a tee-shirt?)  If we
wanted to make a "multi device" loop demo, they might not be into chipping
in, but we could probably do the administration work ourselves.

Anyway, I've said this before, and I will not say it again.  If people are
game, let me know and we can start planning such a thing.  If people feel
it is of no use, I will sit down and shut up.

Mark Sottilaro