Re: recommended recordings - Frisell

Steve,

In a message dated 10/16/02 12:04:36 PM, steve@steve-lawson.co.uk writes:

>also well worth the $$ is Marc Johnson's 'Sound Of Summer Running' with
>Frisell/Metheny on guitar duties. Lovely stuff...

I have that one too.

>c'mon Ted, we wanna hear about how you play 'Crazy Horses' every night
>before you go to bed, and sing along with the horse noises... :o)

Huh?

Okay, these are some major (but hidden) musical influences on me
(not necessarily just guitar ones either) and I will skip the other
obvious
folk like the Beatles or Hendrix/Page/Clapton/Beck (who pretty much
influenced everyone my age -- so why cite them) and folk on the LD
list like Andre L (who are obvious in their own way).

In no particular order:

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass ( I love their 2-and-a-half minute
marvels
of tune craft)
Boots Randolph (yes, of 'Yakety Sax' fame, I wanted to play sax as a kid
but
was asthmatic)
The Grass Roots (they were from the town I grew up in, saw 'em in concert
at
the local HS once)
Leo Kottke (altered tuning, sliding, and finger pickin' deity with a voice
like flatulent geese)
Merle Travis (see above and add cool, genuine old-timey songs I remember
from
my childhood)
John Fahey (similar to Leo K. but also a lonely, wacked-out, cool weirdo
living in a station wagon toward the end)
Eugene Charbourne (see above 3 and throw in a Zappa-esque sick humour
t'boot
-- a still-living genius/weirdo)
Les Paul (STILL one of the coolest gutar payers around, if I could play
like
him I could die a happy man)
Isaac Watts (old hymn writer, 1674-1748, his stuff still moves me
profoundly,
sometimes to tears)
Arvo Pärt (Estonian composer, mostly minimalist -- but that would be over
simplifying, 1935 to present)
Eleni Karaindru (Greek fem modern orchestral composer -- if I could only
write like her -- see Les Paul --I do kipe some "licks" though)
Johann Pachelbell (composer of famous "Canon in D" 1653-1706, some of my
earliest loop experiments echoed him)
The Collectors (an obscure Canadian band from the late '60s who inspired
me
more than Hendrix ever did to play electric guirar)
David Gilmour (yeah, Pink Floyd , probably oughtta go up there with the
Beatles or Hendrix/Page/Clapton/Beck . . .sorry)
The Odds (another Canadian band outta Vancoover B.C . . . backed up the
soon-to-be-late Warren Zevon for a while)
Warren Zevon (I didn't care for his "hits" but like his twisted outlook
and
many of his other songs, got free tickets to see him live once --been a
fan
ever since)
CaptainBeefheart ("Ice Cream for Crow" is one of my all-time favorite
records, a desert island disc, Gary Lucas is an amazing guitarist, Van Vlie
t's a true poet)
The Mahavishnu Orchestra (their energy, imagination and
everything-but-the-kitchen-sink fusion still makes my ears spin and my
socks
roll up and down)
Terje Rypdal (had an entirely different take on "fusion" and still does,
plus
writes marvelous orchestral/choral pieces -- I want to be him when I grow
up)
Shawn Lane (yeah, a slick, soul-less fusion guy on his first solo outing,
but
has turned into much, much more since then, I'm honestly impressed)
Dick Dale (I've always dug surf guitar instrumentals -- other faves in
this
vein are The Mermen and Laika and the Cosmonauts)
Oregon (the band, not the state -- one of the coolest, most eclectic
modern
"chamber jazz" ensembles around -- they practically created the genre)
Bob Dylan (the reason I do not write lyrics or try to sing, I wonder how
much
longer he'll be around, he looks sickly, I dearly love his music)
Hum (an underapreciated slacker "grunge" band from the Nirvanna era that
amuses me for some unknown reason even I can't figure out)
Carl Stalling (the idea of a musical "vocablury" -- the idea that music
can
communicate as much as words can -- even the small stuff of life)
Tommy Tedesco (from the "Bonanza" theme to the "Munsters" one heck of a
memorable guitar "lick" factory).

I could go on and on and on . . . but will stop now. Whew! That was
cahtartic.

Sorry for all those who were expecting to see Bobby Sherman,
The Monkees, or The Archies in my list. Those were my little
sister's records. I dare say some of the above are almost as bad
though (Herb Alpert, Boots Randolph, The Grass Roots, Pachelbell).
Nor are there any Shaggs LPs in my recors collection. I do sorta
enjoy enjoy Jananese girl-band Shonen Knife and Lush. though --
but wouldn't cite 'em as an influence.

Okay . . . I've shown you mine (or some of the most silly ones).
You all fess up now and show me yours.

Ted Killian
http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.htm