Date:   Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:29:01 +0200
From:   Support UK <support@behringer.co.uk> [add to address book] [add to
spam
block list]
Subject:        FCB1010 - switches & power supply.
To:     "'michaelbassett@angelfire.com'" <michaelbassett@angelfire.com>

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the info on the Echoplex - this is just the ticket for
effective support work.

so - here are some (positive) answers.....

I'd like to use one pedal to "talk" to all the units - INDEPENDENTLY.
yes ! this is possible. Assign a separate MIDI channel to each unit.
eg. Boss SE-50 on channel 1 : Lexicon on Channel 2 : Echoplex on Channel
3.
On power up, enter the "global" menu of the FCB1010 and assign the
respective MIDI channels to the desired MIDI functions (eg program change
on MIDI channel 2, MIDI note on channel 3) )

I would like to send program change messages to the SE-50 and Jam-Man from
one series of pedals,  and from a different series of pedals (maybe
programmed on a different bank) send momentary messages to the Echoplex.
Is
this possible?

Yes - but not quite in the manner you might have conceived it.

To achieve this you will also need to program some presets (say for
argument's sake - preset numbers 1 to 10).
thit means :-

Bank 00, pedals 1 - 3.

You can program these "patches" to send specific values for program change
#1 on channel 1, and or for program #2 on channel 2. Program changes #3 -
remain inactive in all patches.
(i.e. nothing happens to the other units when you switch these pedals -
although here it would also be possible to "combine" changes in various
units in one "patch" if you felt it to be necessary !!)

Bank 00, pedals 4 - 00 (10)

You can program these to send no program changes whatsoever (this is also
possible) - but instead to send various "note #" messages on channel 3 (as
programmed in the global setup). The only minor limitation here is, the
note
on messages from the FCB1010 always have the velocity value 64 (this is
default and can't be changed - but it won't affect it's use with the
echoplex)
The MIDI note function operates as follows :-

On pressing the switch - the FCB1010 sends the "note on" command with vel =
64. This should (will) start the record function of the Echoplex.
On releasing the switch - the FCB1010 sends the "note off" command (which
is
indeed "note on" with vel. 0)  - This should (will) stop the record
function
of the Echoplex.

For these presets, you can also program them to set or toggle between two
values for a particular a controller number, or use the expression pedals
effect continuous controller changes... which means that (although I can't
yet confirm this) - you should be able to influence the record & playback
speed in the Echoplex using the expression pedals, or even set these to
pre-calculated values using the controller changes  !!

The FCB1010 has 2x  1/4" TRS sockets - each of which has a relay-operated
switch. This is a latching switch, which closes "tip" to "ring" and enables
thereby 2 stati (per switch). This is intended for "channel switching"
purposes (for those devices which are suitably equipped) - which is
normally
achieved via a voltage (when switch open - voltage = 5 V / channel 1 active
: when switch closed, voltage = 0V / channel 2 active........or similar).
:If
this does not work immediately with your particular equipment, please let
us
know more about the spec. of the unit and we'll see if we can work out a
solution.
You can programm the "stati" of these switches for each individual preset.
You can also (in direct select mode) use the bank up & bank down switches
manually change the stati (although this does sacrificie the flexibility of
being able to initiate bank changes - in this mode each patch is recalled
by
it's "full name" eg "0 4".

The FCB1010 will allow you 10 banks of 10 switches - which should give you
sufficient flexibility to use successfully in most applications - including
with the Echoplex (to which I shall personally be paying closer attention
in
the near future...............)

hope this info is all OK

Best regards