Re: copyright,trademark, patent etc. (was OT- Waterphone Question)

> [soapbox material here]: Actually, given that his patent expired, I think
> it's fine to bypass the original inventor.  Patents were never intended
> last forever (Mickey notwithstanding).
>
> Dennis Leas
> -------------------
> dennis@mail.worldserver.com

yes, it's interesting that corporations have sort of hijacked copyright,
which was also not intended to last forever.

i remember a discussion i had in college with a visiting composer who was
outraged that disney had used 'rite of spring' against stravinsky's will.
supposedly, after he refused to grant permission, they just waited for the
copyright to expire.  funny how it's disney that is at the center of the
copyright extension debate...

i think that copyright should work more like patents.
i read a blog the other day where a photographer
(i've forgotten who - will look for it if anyone is interested)
suggested a fixed 30 year expiration on copyright.
sounds like a great idea to me...