Re: Collaboration in music (response to RandomLFO)

In a message dated 11/11/2002 11:57:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, m-i-k-o@attbi.com writes:

Why is everyone so down on the public?

i've been psychically tortured by the uncosnciously driven sadism of the
public and yet I still love people and credit the modern audience for music
with a respectable base level of intelligence....

There's no proving it anyway so wy must we be harsh on those from whom we
desperately, as artists, when we admit it, seek validation?

     I do have to disagree with the perception of 95% of public being cattle. I don't think that any artist would ever be dumb enough to say that to an audience (I'm sure that some have though). However I can remember a fair number of gigs that the said public didn't do themselves any favors. Freebird, Macarena, anyone? Acohol, fastfood, and soundbites, haven't helped the public either. After a certain period of time, and a certain level of dulled down senses, many people start to like what is familiar, even if what is familar tastes, feels, and smells like crap.
     There are of course many salesmen, corporate executives, and politicans that would like everything to be the same, and everyone to think the same. They have succesfully influenced many people. In fact, they have had an effect on all of us. That is definitley NOT all good.
     Intelligent public? Yes, but intelligent in what way. Musically? Most people seem to know pretty quickly what they like and don't like. That can be considered intelligence (but is also shaded by other factors). But how many of us (WE are all the listening public), really take a moment to consider what we are listening too? Not even musicians are consistent on that count. I will say that I find the audiences at Modern Dance performances, and Art Galleries generally much more musically intelligent than a drunken audience at a night club. But of course far fewer people are going to Modern Dance performances and Art Galleries to get laid. They wait 'til afterward and go to the night club.
     Marc