Re: Practice, rehearse, perform

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:40:49 -0800, "Mark" <sine@zerocrossing.net> said:
> I'm thinking of abandoning my 100% (except for drums sequences) improv
> method of live
> music because I'm realizing that it's just too hard to be "there" all the
> time.

I had a bit of an epiphany about this last night. I tend go for 100%
improv too, but it's so hit and miss...I realized that I tend to
gravitate towards certain patterns, so I could make "process
compositions".  Something like "For this piece, I'm gonna record a short
chord, then switch to reverse and add some harmonics. Then I'll pass them
through a filter..." and so on.  So the action would always be the same
and would make up the "composition" but the notes would be improvised.
Of course I don't see myself following that strictly, but it's a nice way
to have a gameplan and have a little consistency...I think...I haven't
actually tried it yet...

Ernesto

--
ernesto schnack