Re: A REQUEST TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE WHEN THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD CHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY

Kim wrote:

> I don't understand the problem you are having. As far as I can tell the
> subjects of the individual posts are appearing in the digest contents
> exactly as they are in the posts. And in the individual posts the
>subject
> line is left intact.

Yes. That's what he's complaining about. People are changing the subject
in the
text of the message without changing the subject line of the post. It's
not the
list server, it's us. We reply to a message and then write something that
doesn't
follow the subject line we left on there from the previous message, thereby
invalidating any threading potential based on the subject.

I've noticed this happening from WAY back. On this list, you absolutely
have to
read EVERY post, or you will miss something useful. We notoriously rathole
discussions, and it's not infrequent when something really useful shows up
in a
message with a Subject line that you'd never guess would contain anything
like
that. It's tough to keep up sometimes, and even tougher when you know if
you
don't read the messages you'll probably miss something you really wanted
to know.

Greg