Re: Fantastic Planet

<<Not really electronic per se, but I've always
liked Alain Goraguer's music from "Fantastic
Planet"; early '70's Floydish/Euro stuff, Rhodes
and wahwah. Very dated, but fun.>>

Oh YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! One of my
all time favorite movies. I used to see it on
Night Flight back in the mid 80's, on the USA
Network. I was lucky enough to see it at a
theatre here in Cleveland about 3 or 4 years ago.
They showed the subtitled version, which was a
nice change of pace from the awful VHS copy I
have of the dubbed version, which was apparently
what was released here in the US. My old VHS copy
was probably a bootleg, which my mom and I found
in a Woolworth's back around 88 or 89, maybe a
little later. I say it's probably a bootleg
because it was done at EP/SLP speed, instead of
SP (as VHS tapes usually are done), and they used
an AWFUL print, there are some really bad edits,
like the film had been damaged, and rather than
try to find a better print they just went with
what they had. I dunno if that's how the movie
was first released in the US (I believe Roger
Corman's film company is identified as the US
distributors at the start of the opening
credits).

Thankfully, around the time I saw the movie in
the theatre (which would have been 98 or 99, I
think), it was reissued on VHS, with a pair of
Rene Laloux's earlier animated films tacked on as
bonus material. You could get it either in dubbed
or subtitled forms. I chose the subtitled
version. And eventually, I also came across the
soundtrack CD, which I also have.

BTW, Fantastic Planet is worth watching for the
sound effects used in various scenes, which I
think could fall into the category of "electronic
music".

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones