that 1/2 inch thing

damn monk - you have a 102??? my palms get all sweaty just THINKING about
it. i've seen them going for anywhere from $3+k to 8!

anyway, what i'd say in general would be for anyone who can - mix to half
inch.
go ahead, hammer that atr - it LIKES you to (unlike SOME mediums i could
think of.)

burn your mix at will then store this tape somewhere sensible - away from
pizza ovens, mass transit substations etc...

at such time as you make the leap from 48 to 96k (or beyond)- pull out
that
master and burn another dig copy if you like. that open reel mix is always
gonna sound better than anything else as yet, but you'll save the wear and
tear on the o.r. and enjoy all the convenience of random access.

my pal just rented an atr 102 to do his mixes and after he finished them
we
were both looking at it thinking the same thing.... "hmmmm... how can we
manage to NOT return this bad boy!"