Re: American Empire as Gated Community

>If you can't say that you're against the
>actions of a president in a democracy, then you do not live in a
>democracy.

This is surely one of the most powerful, direct, cogent and succinct ways
I've heard this put. I've been trying to say exactly that ever since 9/11.

Pardon me for gushing but I have to admit a rush of warm feeling and
gratitude at everyone's insightful, sensitive replies to this issue. This
could definitely be fodder for flame wars, and as such I probably should
not
have replied as I did in the first place; but the thoughtful, intelligent
comments everyone has made have reaffirmed my belief in this tiny
community.
And that's not just because most of the sentiment expressed happens to
agree
with my take on things.

I feel for a moment as if I'm back in grad school, experiencing one of
those
positive "universality" bonding moments from a mock therapy group.

=)

jj

</going-back-to-lurk-mode-where-I-normally-reside-because-I-figure-if-I-ever-say-much-on-this-list-then-my-comments-will-gradually-but-inevitably-deteriorate-into-slobbering-fannishness-for-Our-Beloved-Mr.Torn-and-finally-begging-him-for-a-record-deal---so-you-can-see-why-I-generally-keep-my-!@#%$-mouth-shut>