Re: A Much Shorter Retort to the Domed One's Essay

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Peters" <mpeters@csi.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 12:33:PM
Subject: RE: A Much Shorter Retort to the Domed One's Essay

> S.P. Goodman wrote,
>
> > The anti-American sentiment on the
> > part of the British press is fairly commonplace
> > and pretty much taken for granted.
>

> Ah, smelling anti-American sentiments again, eh?

Nope, even the British press slags each other off about it.  I'm just
passing it on from BBC 24, amongst other sources.

> Just because someone dares
> to criticize - and of course, Eno didn't criticize America as a whole,
>but
> only those who claim to own 'the American spirit', bashing everyone else
> be anti-American. Wake up, man! To be truly American would mean no longer
> blindly follow those religious-conservative hardliners and power-hungry
oil
> billionaires into a brutal unnecessary war which will be led not for
> humanist reasons, but solely for cheap oil and political control over it.

A popular notion, but not necessarily correct.  You assume a stereotypic
jingoism on my part that a lot of folks fall back on lacking other means of
criticism.  Not so.  Go back and read what I wrote again, perhaps, and
choose to react afterwards.

> I recommend for you to read Crimson biographer Sid Smith's diary (Jan 3rd
> entry) at http://diaries.krimson-news.com/SidSmith.shtml.
> Sid writes about Eno's article:
>
> > Dismissing this article as US bashing is to profoundly miss the point.
Eno
> ’s words are equally applicable to the UK.
>
> and:
>
> > To be anti-Bush isn’t to be anti-American
>
> but read for yourself.

Always useful to see others' opinions, though not necessarily validating of
one point vs another.  I didn't post my own opinion as an invitation to
discourse, though.  Just the opinion I have as much a right to as others do
theirs, right?  Right?

S.P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*