Re: Off-Topicers Delight!

Hi,

I too have been off the list for a couple of months and, on rejoining have
felt
interested in the threads and pleased that list members have more to
communicate with each other about than restricting our communications to
looping techniques. I know that, if I need some technical information, I
can
post to the list and will most likely get it. But, when the last month's
list
of threads was sent out, I thought, what a wonderful diverse range of
subjects
that are possible for us to talk about here.

As musicians, I'm not sure how useful or even possible it is for us to try
separate ourselves from the context in which we make music: the economic,
the
political and the cultural context. Whatever our particular political (or
Political) stance, it has to be talkable about else we stagnate. There are
plenty of people who strangely claim some pride in avoiding learning about
what's going on in the world (not reading newspapers, neither
watching/listening to the news), some musicians also find it hard to have
conversations that veers away from music technology.

I don't share the fear that, if we have a range of "off topic" threads, we
will
find it hard to get back "on topic" again or that it might put people off.
think that, whether I actively contribute to the list or not, whilst I am
subscribed to it, I share an equal responsibility for what is discussed. I
can't separate myself off from the list whilst remaining subscribed.

I do appreciate a forum for sharing of information and techniques about
looping
(equipment etc.) and I also welcome the demonstration that we are also
intelligent, thoughtful and interested in all kinds of things - this must
bring
a richness to our music and to this group.

Thanks.

Ian.