a gentle response to "Opaque Veil of Technology"

Title: Re: Opaque Veil of Technology
I don't think about my delay and looping equipment (or any of my mounds of crap, really) as "augmentation" or "modification" devices for my input signal, whether it's my guitar, my drums, or inarticulate howls of existential rage.   To me, any of the devices in the path of a given signal are integral and specific to the resultant sound.   I would no sooner consider my guitar as separate from my rig than I would the oscillators from the envelope filters on my synthesizer.   Strings, processor, amp, speakers: I consider all of that my "instrument".   Something that I find truly amusing as a player in the South is that "blues purists" will grasp this concept as far as their amps are concerned, but will still miss the point when is comes to processing.   Obviously, it isn't "overuse" of technology on the part of the artist that results in this sort of criticism, but the definition of "music" or "art" to the ear of the critic.   I love the crazy ambient noize, but I also have an acoustic gig.   Knock some of the Mahler out of your ears and try to make some room.   I guess that I'm pretty surprised that there are members of the "but that don't sound like the way Skinnard (or Segovia) plays a guitar" crowd, here.   A chop is a chop, whether you pluck a string, vibrate a reed or twist a knob to achieve it.

lance

; )