Eric Tamm's book on Robert Fripp

--- Lance Chance <lrc8918@louisiana.edu> wrote:
> is the book you're talking about written by a musician and presents a
>very
> musical and technical breakdown of Fripp and what he does? if so, i have
> read this book and it is really very good. it talks about tunings and
>method
> and musical philosophy and plectrum guitar style and just all kinds of
> stuff.  i got my copy from the university and photocopied the entire work
> because i couldn't get it anywhere else.  is that an admission of crime?

Probably not, since the author (Eric Tamm) has made the book freely
available on
the  internet instead of republishing it. See the link that David sent (at
progressiveears.com)

I read it (online) awhile back. Pretty interesting. But remember that
Robert
Fripp did not endorse or cooperate in it's production (although it was
reputed
that he said he liked the chapter where Tamm shared his experience of
attending a
Guitar Craft course). In fact, he urged Tamm not to write the book from the
start. Given his predisposition against self-aggrandizement, that's not
terribly
surprising.

Unlike some of the other people that reported here, while I thought the
book was
interesting, and had some good information, I felt it bordered very
closely on
hero worship throughout much of it. Guess I don't really have a problem
with
that, but to say it's an unbiased view of Robert Fripp and his music might
be a
stretch. That said, I enjoyed the book, and do recommend it to others
(especially
for free).

Greg